Sunday, December 21, 2008

"Alice" to Feature Stop-Motion Animation


For those of you that were hoping that Tim Burton would use old-fashioned technology in his films, we have good news: Alan Rickman confirmed in an interview on MoviesOnline that Alice in Wonderland will feature stop-motion animation, along with live-action and computer-generated elements.

You can read the full interview here. Here's an excerpt:

MoviesOnline: What are you playing in Alice in Wonderland?

ALAN RICKMAN: The caterpillar.

MoviesOnline: A caterpillar? How do you get into something like that?

ALAN RICKMAN: Well, fortunately it’s animated.

MoviesOnline: Oh, okay.

ALAN RICKMAN: But it’s my face on an animated caterpillar. So, it’s a mixture. The movie is a mixture of live action, animation, and stop motion, so it’s very complicated and I don’t think all three have been put together ever before.

MoviesOnline: Oh, I don’t think so. No.

ALAN RICKMAN: So I’ll be with a live action Alice. I will be a construct.

MoviesOnline: Who is the Alice that you’re playing opposite?

ALAN RICKMAN: Mia [Wasikowska] is her name. I don’t know her surname. I met her yesterday because they’re shooting right here. If you make yourself into the invisible person, you can go in and have a look. She’s a young 19-year-old, apparently absolutely brilliant and certainly delightful person.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry, but I think he mean "Motion Performance Capture"...

Anonymous said...

You are probably right... but we can still hope, cant we? *smiles*

Anonymous said...

Yeah, that's right!!! ;-)

Eddiesmoments said...

That is some sweet news yo. long live stop motion!
the concept of making this film was very blurry for me in the beginning, but I am beginning to be able to imagine just a little bit what it might be like. I hope it gets even clearer when we get some clips or something, or interviews from Burton himself.

Anonymous said...

19 years old.. and in a burton movie with johnny depp and helena bonham carter.. = WOW!