Saturday, February 23, 2008

Depp on the Oscars, Acting

The Academy Awards occur this Sunday, but actor Johnny Depp expressed that he wasn't too concerned if he did or didn't win this year. Depp has been nominated for Best Actor for his role as Sweeney Todd in Tim Burton's Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street. But Depp said he wasn't too worried about the awards ceremony, and was more interested in future roles and his body of work in acting, Hollywood Today reports.

"I just want to keep trying stuff," said Depp. "I feel like I've been so blessed to have had these characters presented to me, come in front of me, in my life. I just hope that I keep getting jobs, and especially I hope that [Tim Burton] will keep giving me jobs."



Even after six collaborations together, Burton still finds something new and exciting in Depp's various performances. "I have to say, this was one of my favorite characters that he's done," said the director.

Depp admits that he was originally tentative about taking on the role of the murderous barber, who also had to sing. "It was challenging -- there have been a lot of different Sweeneys over the years," the actor said. "I didn't know if I could sing. I had a feeling that because of my background in music that I could hit a note or two. I didn't know if I could sustain a note. I really didn't know if I could pull it off."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I sure do hope he wins!

Anonymous said...

He was so perfect for Sweeny Todd and did the role so beautifully. As if anyone else could have filled those shoes as well as he did. Hopefully another Burton - Depp collaboration is coming up sooner rather than later!

Eddiesmoments said...

he CAN be careless about Oscars cause he is one of the people who has nothing to loose if he doesnt get one, he is number one as far as fan base comes and he has Tim burton by his side, who ahs enabled definitely some of the best part for Johnny.

and Sweeney Todd is a very very satisfying film experience which is the most important thing. people dont watch it from sense of duty, they reach emotional contact the way it also happened once with Edward Scissorhands (and still keeps happening today), and any Burton film through time has its own group of biggest fans, a generation of burtonites...this film has grabbed all generations along and Johnny is much to blame, his Sweeney just gets through.

Fuzzy Duck said...

^Very well put, redfox. :)

Anonymous said...

Johnny puts something so unique into each character he plays that no one else could ever hope to duplicate . He is an immense talent and, as eccentric as the roles he takes on so frequently are, he himself has such a good heart and truly " keeps it real " . So many so-called actors could definately take a cue from him .